Most people realize how important moisturizing is for skin health. As we mature, we begin to worry about the signs of aging. Anti-aging moisturizers are a great way to keep skin looking smooth and youthful. But the delicate skin under your eyes requires something more.
The skin nearest your eyes is softer and more prone to signs of aging and environmental damage. Because its texture is different from the rest of your face, it’s worth using a separate product in this area. If you’re serious about keeping your skin healthy and smooth, you’ll want to use an anti-aging eye cream.
Morning vs. Night Eye Creams
Just as different skin textures require different products, your skin has different needs based on the time of day. It’s important to keep this in mind when choosing products to include in your daily skincare routine.
In the morning, look for an eye cream that will shield the skin near your eyes from environmental factors like harsh weather, pollution, and other irritants. You'll want products with ingredients designed to hydrate the skin like hyaluronic acid and ceramides. Ingredients like vitamin C can help counteract free-radical damage from pollution and daily stressors. Daytime moisturizers should always include sun protection, and the area under your eyes is no exception. Protecting your skin from the sun is always an important step in any skincare regimen.
Sleep is the body’s time for restoration, and your skin is no different. A good night eye cream will help replenish dead skin cells with healthy new ones as you rest. You’ll want to use a heavier eye cream at night for stronger hydration. Ingredients to look for include peptides for collagen stimulation and retinol to help reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Eye Cream for Different Skin Issues
When shopping for an eye cream, you’ll want to choose a product formulated to correct any specific issues that may be of concern. Several problems can be corrected by the right eye cream.
If you’re struggling with dry skin, you likely see this more strongly in the skin around your eyes. For this concern, look for a formula designed with extra hydration in mind. Snow mushroom extract is an ingredient that will help ensure your skin stays hydrated all day or night.
The area around your eyes is often the first to show fine lines and “crows feet” are a common problem. Those looking to minimize the appearance of fine lines around the eyes should look for a formula with retinol included. This will both help reduce the appearance of the lines you already have, and help keep more from forming. Other ingredients that will help include hyaluronic acid and sweet almond extract. A combination of these ingredients is best.
If you often have dark circles beneath your eyes, it could be related to a lack of sleep, but may have a more complex cause that’s not easy to correct. Fortunately, eye cream for dark circles will often take care of the problem when used regularly. Surprisingly, applying caffeine to the skin is a great way to brighten up the darkness under your eyes. It stimulates blood flow to the area and constricts vessels, making those shadows a thing of the past.
If you don’t have any of these specific concerns but are looking to prevent obvious signs of aging around the eyes, there are options for you as well. The best eye cream for wrinkles will feature antioxidants and vitamins C and E. Goji berry extract is an excellent ingredient that incorporates both antioxidants and amino acids, to help improve skin tone and reverse the signs of aging at the same time.
What to Look for in an Eye Cream
No matter the time of day, your skin type, or the issues you’re wanting to correct, an under eye cream should have a few specific features. Here are some things you’ll want to look out for when shopping for an under eye cream.
- Antioxidants — Ingredients like vitamin C, vitamin E, and berry extracts are usually included for their antioxidant properties. These ingredients help protect your skin from damage.
- Good product reviews — Don’t forget to check what others have said about the product. While different products will work differently for each person’s unique skin needs, an overall positive or negative trend in reviews is often very telling.
- Hyaluronic acid or ceramides — Skin creams featuring these ingredients are designed to moisturize by trapping hydration inside your skin. This also helps to plump the skin, which can minimize the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Peptides — These ingredients increase elastin and collagen, which is particularly useful for those fighting droopy, under eye bags.
- Retinol — Retinol is a form of vitamin A, but it’s particularly useful when applied under the eyes. It stimulates collagen production, which can help prevent wrinkles and fine lines.